Facebook 10 Year Anniversary
Facebook 10 Year Anniversary – crazy right. I know. So it is Monday and the theme is Motivation. I started thinking about where I was 10 years ago and when I first heard of Facebook and created an account. I love stories like Facebook for several reasons. First and foremost, say what you want, but Facebook has changed the world and become a household name (brand). Secondly, they were not first, there is no reason why everyone isn’t saying, “yo, hit me on Myspace”. Lastly, they created thousands and thousands of jobs while doing it.
– October 2003 a few Harvard students launch Facemash
– February 2004 Mark Zuckerberg launches www.thefacebook.com
– October 2005 Facebook allows users to upload and store unlimited “photos”
– September 2006 Facebook opens up and allows anyone to join
– September 2006 Facebook turns down a $1 Billion dollar offer from Yahoo
– September 2006 Facebook moves beyond just profiles and launches the News Feed
– May 2007 Facebook opens up its Platform to developers
– December 2009 Facebook turns a profit on over $700 Million in revenue
– May 2012 Facebook goes public
– October 2012 Facebook hits 1 Billion users
Have you ever heard the saying, “ten year over night success”. As an entreprenuer I find it funny that so many people focus on the fact that Mark Zuckerberg is a billionaire, why do I find that funny, well, he is a billionaire because he changed the world, made tough decisions, created thousands of jobs, hundreds of millionaires, several other billionaires, and his company grew 68% over the last twelve months. Are you motivated? It is possible. Someone recently asked Mark in an interview, “why did Facebook work”, his answer, “we just cared more”.